Your rights at work (English)

How much are you paid?

In the UK there is a national minimum wage to which both foreign workers working in this country and agricultural workers are entitled.

Year 25 and over 21 to 24 18 to 20 Under 18 Apprentice
November 2016 (current rate) £7.50 £7.05 £5.60 £4.05 £3.50

If an employer owes a worker any arrears, they have to pay these back.  Workers can call the confidential Acas helpline on 0300 123 1100 for help solving any payment disputes.

Rest breaks

Employers are required by law to give any worker who works more than six hours a day a rest break of not less than 20 minutes, to be taken during working time, not at the beginning or end of a shift.

Workplace injuries

If you are injured at work you may be entitled to claim compensation from your employer.

You can claim for any accident, injury or disease caused by your work, including work-related upper limb disorders, injuries caused by defective equipment, hazardous chemicals and unsafe working practices.

If you are a trade union member, you can do this with the help of the union.


Employers are not allowed to discriminate workers on grounds of age, disability, race, religion, sex or sexual orientation.

Dangerous equipment

Workers face many hazards at work. The law says that employers must protect those who work with dangerous equipment and chemicals from injury and disease. They must provide suitable protective clothing and ensure that the working environment is safe.

If they do not then they are in breach of their duty of care to their workers and can be prosecuted.

Union rights

All workers in the UK have the right to join a trade union, whether their employer recognises that trade union or not. Trade union membership entitles you to advice from the union about your rights at work and also to being represented by a trade union official if you have any problems with your employer.

It is unlawful for employers to victimise people on grounds of their trade union membership or activities.

Industrial Injuries Benefit

If you have been injured or have developed an illness through your work then you may be entitled to claim this benefit.

For more information call the Benefit Enquiry Line on 0800 882 200.

Unauthorised deductions

It is unlawful for an employer to deduct money from your wages without your consent.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: